In this article, we will explain what PRP therapy is, how it works, the benefits you could experience over time, and the results of past cases.
You may be feeling apprehensive about pursuing PRP therapy for hair loss. The after effects have not been discussed as thoroughly as they probably should be on mainstream sites because the procedure is relatively new.
It is understandable that you feel a little nervous, but PRP therapy to promote hair regrowth has produced positive results in the past, and you should consider giving it a try!
The PRP Procedure
PRP stands for “platelet-rich plasma.” The procedure consists of drawing your own blood, usually from your arm, spinning it down into three layers in a centrifuge, and injecting only the best plasma rich in platelets into your scalp through micro needling. If you can get routine blood tests done by your doctor and you are immunized regularly, PRP treatment won’t be too different from what you are already used to.
How PRP Therapy Works
The platelet-rich plasma that is injected into your scalp works to heal affected areas and stimulate reparative cells through the use of growth factors. Growth factors promote the formation of substances like collagen, which is also used in anti-aging serums. This, in turn, will likely show signs of the regrow of your hair. It’s an all-natural formula, so you don’t have to worry about harsh chemicals.
The Benefits of PRP Therapy Over Time
The PRP procedure comes in more than one dose. It is a series of injections carried out over a period of weeks and redone over several months, so you will begin to see changes as you progress through the treatment. What you may notice are as follows:
- Your hair may become thicker and denser in the problem areas being treating
- The appearance of balding and thinning spots may be reversed
- Your receding hairline may begin to grow back in
- Your self-confidence will increase gradually as those problem areas may seem to disappear
Though this may all sound too good to be true, you had better start believing it! The results have indicated that PRP therapy could, in fact, achieve everything it states. Let’s go over some of those cases to ease your worries.
PRP Case Studies
PRP therapy is a fairly new hair loss remedy on the market. However, it has a long history of case studies and trials that have been proven to produce beneficial results from those suffering from this hair loss issue. Here are a few examples and what they may mean for PRP patients in the future.
- In a study published in 2017, 50 men with androgenic alopecia (male pattern hair loss) enrolled in a trial to prove or disprove the efficacy of PRP treatments. On the left side of their scalps, they were given a PRP injection. On the right side, they were only injected with saline. The results show that the hair on the left side became thicker and new hair started growing. (For a more in-depth explanation, click here.)
- Another study published in 2015 tested ten men with androgenic alopecia. These men were given injections of PRP over three months, and the results show that, overall, these men experienced thicker, denser hair with stronger roots at the end of the trial. (For more on this study, click here.)
- Back in 2014, eleven patients suffering from hair loss underwent PRP hair treatment. These patients had tried other hair loss remedies with no results. After four PRP injections spread out over three months, this group saw a drastic increase in hair growth and root strength, with a decrease in the number of hairs detached in a pull test. It was concluded that PRP treatments are most likely effective and cost-efficient. (For more about this study, click here.)
As you can see, several trials have proven that it is very likely that PRP treatments can help you regrow stronger and thicker hair. This successful trend is on the rise, and we at Coastal Medical and Cosmetic Dermatology are very excited about it!
Who do these treatments work best for, though?
Who Does PRP Therapy Benefit the Most?
Although PRP for hair procedures can help a wide array of patients with different hair loss related conditions, there are a few groups that have been more widely studied and have noticed the best and most effective results. These groups are the following:
- Those suffering from androgenic alopecia. This condition is also known as male/female pattern baldness. Women can also experience hair loss and can be treated alongside men.
- Those suffering from more recent hair loss. This is because the longer your condition persists, the less likely it is that treatment will work, though it may still produce some beneficial results.
How to Achieve Positive Results from PRP Hair Restoration
Although it is never a guarantee that you will qualify for this procedure, you should talk it over with a certified dermatologist to determine whether PRP therapy is the right choice for you. If it is decided that you are a prime candidate for the procedure, then you should expect to go through this regimen:
- Three PRP injections over a period of four to six weeks
- Regular maintenance injections every four to six months
If you follow these appointments and stick with the procedure, you may notice some positive results that will leave you feeling confident and happy again.
Please note: PRP needs to be done by a licensed, board certified dermatologist. These are not at-home treatments, rather, you need a trusted doctor to work with.
Where to Go for Treatment
If you feel that you are ready to pursue treatment options for hair loss and skin rejuvenation, then you need to know that you can trust the dermatologists who will be going through the procedure with you. For those of you in the La Jolla or Chula Vista, CA areas, you should consider making an appointment for a consultation with Dr. Gonzales and staff at Coastal Medical and Cosmetic Dermatology. We promise to give you the highest quality of care possible and work with you to produce the best results for you to get your confidence up again.